Hit-and-runs: What do I do?

Once a hit-and-run vehicle accident occurs, usually it is difficult to determine the identity of the person responsible for the accident.

The Alberta Government administers the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund (MVACF) which pays compensation to a party who is injured in a hit-and-run motor vehicle accident.

When you do not know the identity of the driver or owner of the vehicle involved in the hit-and-run accident it is important to speak with an experienced injury lawyer. When you retain Braithwaite Boyle, we do all the necessary investigations and file the required lawsuit against the unknown driver called “John Doe”. If we are not successful in finding the party responsible for the accident, the MVACF will eventually compensate the injured party for their injuries. The maximum amount of compensation the MVACF pays out for any incident is $200,000.00. If there are multiple plaintiffs the money is paid on a pro-rated basis should the total amount of damages exceed $200,000.00. MVACF does not pay for collision damages to your vehicle or for other property losses.

If you are injured as a result of a hit-and-run accident call Braithwaite Boyle today for a free initial consultation and speak to one of our experienced injury lawyers to get the help and advice you need.

Information provided by Melina Djulancic, BA, J.D.

0 0