Section B Benefits for Passengers and Pedestrians

All parties involved in the collision, even the at fault driver, have the right to seek section B benefits.

There are two components to section B benefits:

  • Wage loss benefits if you cannot work as a result of the accident
  • Medical treatment benefits

If you were working at the time of the accident or had worked 6 months out of the 12 months before the accident and have been unable to work for at least 7 consecutive days, you have the right to apply for section B wage loss benefits. In that case section B wage loss benefits will pay up to $400.00 per week while you are off work. All parties involved in the collision have the right to apply for section B medical treatment benefits. You should contact the insurance company of the motor vehicle that you were a passenger in and ask for the AB-1 and AB-1a disability forms. Usually you have 10 days from the date of the accident to apply for section B coverage. You should do so as soon as it is practical to avoid any denial of section B benefits.

Pedestrians have the same right to section B coverage, but it is the insurance company of the at fault driver who hit you that is responsible for paying section B benefits.

If you, or a loved one, have been injured either as a passenger or a pedestrian as a result of a motor vehicle accident, call Braithwaite Boyle today for a free initial consultation and speak to one of our experienced injury lawyers to get the help and advice you need and to learn more about section B benefits.

Information provided by Ken Braithwaite, LLB (Honours), PCLL
0 0